Monday, June 29, 2015

Twin Mom: How I'm getting squeezed out of the nine to five job.

I wish I knew how to solve the maternity leave and child care issues that plague modern mothers. We are not given paid maternity leave unless our employer offers it and our school system has perverse hours that don't match up to the 9-5 work day in any sense. Good luck if you have kids of varying ages because little Billy's elementary school is from 8-3, Sally's Middle School is from 9-4, and Jimmy's High School is from 7-2pm. Also, don't forget all the school holidays, summer break, winter break, spring break, early release days, and teacher work days! You work a nine to five schedule and get only the basic of holidays off so how in the world will this work?

I took three months off when my girls were born. They came early and we were put in the hospital for a while after birth. On top of some very expensive medical bills I had to go unpaid for two months. I used my sick and vacation days to pay for one month. Unfortunately, I didn't realize how sick kids get when they start daycare. I was out of sick days but the girls kept getting sent home with fevers, the stomach flu, rashes, and looking at the daycare worker the wrong way (not true but it sure felt that way!). After being sent home the child has to be quarantined for 24 hours as part of the daycare policy. My family and I tag teamed sick days but my days were going unpaid. For some illnesses I had to visit my pediatrician and get a release note to be allowed to bring the girl back to daycare. On top of not getting paid on those days I had to pay the doctor a copay and there was usually some medicine I had to buy. When the girls were sent home I was still expected to pay for childcare services. I was caring for my children at home while paying the daycare their usual fess and not getting paid myself. After the twins were over their illness I usually caught it right afterwards. Then I needed a day off, a visit to the doctor, and medication. An unsuspecting family member would take care of the girls while I recovered only to be stricken with the same illness the next day. We called it the Baby Plague. This game has been going on for 11 months and we are all very tired of it.

Now lets say that by the grace of God we are having a normal illness free day. Luckily, daycare hours accommodate working hours so I don't have to pull a magic act to pick up kids during public school hours. When I finish my work day I have the following to accomplish: grocery shop, pick up the girls from daycare, cook dinner, feed babies, feed myself, wash dishes, pack four lunches, bath two babies, rock two babies to sleep, do laundry, pick up toys, and pass out from exhaustion. My husband does help but much of his time is spent keeping the girls out of my way so I can get everything done. I spend my days working so I can afford daycare to raise my children and then came home only to do chores to prepare for the next working day. Oh, Sisyphus I feel your pain. 

Money and time is getting scarce but I have few choices available to me. I could push through the daily grind and hope to get a raise before my credit is ruined. I could search for a higher paying job where I will work like a machine and need to hire a nanny. Or I could quit my job to raise my girls at home and we will need to give up some comforts like take-out food, soft toilet paper, and Netflix. This would sound like a no brainier for most but it's not easy giving up the security of a two income family. Both parents have health insurance, retirement options, and predictable paychecks. A one income family is at the mercy of the that one job. A lay off hurts much worse when there's no other cash flow coming in.

My awesome plan that will solve all my problems:
  1. Win the lottery.
  2. Quit my job.
  3. Get pregnant with another set of twins.
  4. Raise my four babies myself (with the help of a live in nanny or two).
  5. Live the rest of my years traveling around the world with my large family.




No comments:

Post a Comment